Sunday, September 15, 2013

Like A Virgin Diver Sept 2011

My first experience with scuba diving.   September 6, 2011.  My friend Sarah was invited to a free dive night at the local scuba shop.  Red and I went along for kicks.  We were introduced to the older of the illustrious Scubabros and signed our lives away.  AKA waiver papers.  A brief overview of how to use the equipment followed.  How to clear your regulator: Put your tongue in the hole and blow.  (Insert nervous girl giggles here)

I think for this to really give a good picture, explanation of the 4 Knuckleheads of the Apocalypse.  Sarah, Kristen, Red and I, at one point, all worked in the same office.  It was one of the better teams I had put together. At this point in our friendship, we were hanging out most nights after work.  Everything was becoming an inside joke, everything was a sexual innuendo; normal bestie stuff.

So, back in the pool, putting your tongue in and blowing just fit in with our M.O.  I'm sure Mike was thrilled, a gaggle of giggling girls.  We tried so hard to keep straight faces, but the more you try not to laugh, the funnier things become.  We got through our intro by the grace of Poseidon himself.  My first breath underwater was surreal.  A little against nature.  And here's where scuba will get you.  Defying the natural order of things.  (You will soon find out why breaking rules is hard for me)

Fall in Oklahoma is tricky.  It's hot enough outside to  make you sweat, but the cooler nights keep the water temp on the chilly side.  Needless to say, my two skinny companions were quickly shivering in their BC's.  When asked if I wanted a wet suit to keep warm, I responded with a scoff.  I, of extra layers, hardly ever get cold.  Especially in my element.

Another flashback and history here.  I am a water creature.  Growing up, we had a pool in the backyard and it was nigh impossible to get me out of it most days.  My parents always tease me that I am part fish.  Since we were not allowed in the pool during the day with no one home, and I am an avid rule follower, my brother and I waited patiently in our suits for the garage door to open before we made a beeline to the pool.  Since those summers, each year, I have pined for a pool of my own.  We visit friends, parents, public pools, anything to get my fix.  In 2013, we joined the gym with an outdoor and indoor pool, giving me year round access. (YES!)

Back to the lesson.  We were released into the pool with just enough knowledge not to drown ourselves.  As we got deeper into the pool, I started to notice the lack of cleanliness as an algae tumbleweed floated past my mask.  O.o  The bottom of the pool as a green slime masterpiece.  To be fair, it was September, and the pools generally close when school resumes in August.  But, it was extra incentive for not touching the bottom.  That being said, I was hooked.  The sounds underwater are sublime, peaceful, and just what you might expect.  Bubbles, swishing, and ears popping.

30-45 minutes later, we are getting out of the pool.  Out of the water, this gear is HEAVY!  As we put it on when we were already in the water, I didn't connect the dots that it would weigh so much.  We de-equipped and started to dry off, faces flushed, babbling at 90 miles and hour, and, you guessed it, giggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment