Sunday, September 15, 2013

Open Water Certification, Take 1 July 2013

July 15, 17, 22, 24, 2013.

I have thought about the scuba experience from a few years ago off and on.  I have gotten to know the Scubabros a little better through work, and they always invite me to come and dive.  One afternoon, while the hubster and I are sunning at the outdoor pool at the gym, I get a wild hair and decide that I am going to sign up.  He is marathon training, so I have lots of time on my hands and need a hobby.

I walk into the shop, which is on the same property as the gym, and tell Mike that I am ready to sign up for scuba lessons.  Once I complete the official paperwork, I get my Open Water kit.  Included are a manual, DVD, and some other goodies that I have no idea what to make of.  I return to the hubster poolside, I immediately crack open the manual and start reading.

My first chapter gives the introduction and encourages highlighting and writing in the book.  My being an avid reader, was very hard assignment for me.  I chose an orange Sharpie.  Go for broke, why not?  I carried this manual everywhere I went.  Any spare moment for the next few days, I had my nose in that manual.  I felt like a regular Hermione Granger, reading the textbook cover to cover before class.

What I will say about the video was that it helped me put the text all together.  I am a visual learner, so seeing the techniques and procedures was very helpful.  That being said, it was hella cheesy.

Next up were the lectures and exams.  Hubby teased that only I would be worried about a test that I paid for.  Needless to say, I passed the class with a 96%.  Hermione like, I can tell you that I missed the question about which way to start your dive when there is a current present.  I promise, I know the answer.

Now, we're up to the Confined Water Dives.  AKA pool dives in which I am shown a skill and get to try it. I have to be able to put my gear together and put it on.  Clear regulator, reg recovery, partial mask flood, breathe with alternate air source from buddy, understand hand signals, buddy checks, giant step entry, reg/snorkel exchange, snorkel swim, manually inflate BCD, demonstrate proper weighting, SORTeD (Signal, Orient, Regulator, Time, equalize while Descending), remove/replace mask and clear, breathe without mask, respond to out-of-air signal, STELlA (Signal, Time, Elevate, Look up, listen, Ascend), cramp removal, buoyancy, reg free flow, CESA ascent, weight belt removal and replacement, and skin diving.  Wow, looking back, that's so much work.  These were done in 4 pool sessions over 2 weeks, though.

Best part is up next.  Open Water checkout dives.


No comments:

Post a Comment