Monday, May 26, 2014

Baby steps

Buddy breathing:  Something I thought I would have a mental block with.  I guess this is not the case. I just needed to be taught, shown, and practice.

Since last weekend, buddy breathing has not been far from my thoughts.  I walk around the house thinking about having the reg in my mouth for 2 breaths, then pass and make small bubbles in my imagination. If I could get in the water and practice,  I think I can get it.

One of the instructors, Jesse, pulled me aside at dive night and said, "I read your blog and think I can help". *Gulp* We break this skill down into it's smallest parts. Can I do a full mask clear? Yes. Can I remove and replace your fins? Yes. Can I remove and replace my BC? Yes. Well, the only thing left is the reg. Let's go down and only buddy breathe.  Ok!

We get to the bottom of the pool and use my reg. 2 breaths, pass, bubbles.  I'm struggling with my buoyancy. Even with 10 lbs.  Then, I remember, I'm using an aluminum 80 and that makes me lighter than the steel tanks. At first, I have a death grip on Jesse's arm. I will not bolt, I will not bolt, I will not bolt.  My breaths come frantic at first. After a few rounds, however, I settle into a rhythm.  
On land, I have been practicing without the reg for 20 seconds, then 2 breaths. It was only taking 10-12, making me feel much better about the whole exercise. 
By the time we surface,  I'm elated. buddy breathing mental block, history.  I just need to practice the skill before testing to make sure I can put all the pieces together.

Side note: I practiced the 800 meter snorkel and did it in 15 mins.  I think I can shave some time off and get a score of 4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment