Friday, May 9, 2014

Dive Nite! Open Season 2014

It's officially open dive season.  I just attended the first dive night of 2014.  The water was a warm 70 something.  Really nice with my 3 mil.  But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

I got a curve ball thrown at me when setting up my gear.  Can you assemble your equipment blindfolded...?  Probably was my answer.  I went about getting ready to hop in, the water singing its siren song.

About to giant stride in, and I'm asked how the set up went.  You weren't kidding?  No, he wasn't.  All my equipment is disassembled and splayed out.  I'm thinking about my comment about having to closely watch new divers put their gear together, since it wasn't routine for me, yet, and still a process.  Isn't there some line about asking and receiving?  For a blindfold, we use my mask strap.  It's tight across my eyes, so I close them, anyway.  You know I wouldn't dream of cheating; I'd really like to know if I can do it.

I start with my tank.  Find the o-ring and stand it up with the ring facing away from me.  I have to fumble with my BCD to get it just right.  I get the strap around and cinched.  Good.  Where's the reg... I have to follow the hoses to the ends to figure out which side has the reg and which side the air 2/gauge.  Air 2 snapped on, 1st stage tightened up.  I hold my breath as I open the tank.  When nothing hisses out, I exhale; I've done it correctly so far.

I realize, as I'm putting all my gear in my pockets, that I have lots of pieces.  Slates, safety sausage (aka dive wiener), and a pocket mask all go in the BCD.  As I am adding the pocket mask, I hear my divemaster say, "She's doing really good," and the slippery bugger shoots down my BC.  I thought I would not be able to get it.  My hand falls on it and it squirts away.  Dang.  Finally, I wrangle that little demon into my pocket and I'm done.  I sit back on my haunches with my gear laid down, so it can't be tossed in the pool, awaiting critique.  "Your defog is between your fins". *facepalm*  Always chasing perfection.

End the night with a pic with Divemaster buddy and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment