Monday, May 5, 2014

Divemaster: Prologue

Jr Divemaster in Training, DITz for short, reporting for day 1.  This is going to be a long adventure for this certification, so I will write it like a book.  I'm 10 dives short of qualifying for the program, so I ask permission to tag along to the training lake.  Reporting in for the morning, I am assigned the helper of Zach's pool class.  This entails getting weight belts, equipment set, supervising the new students assembly of the equipment, and getting them in the pool.  I feel like I have to watch them closely, since it was only 9 months ago, I was in their fins, so to speak.  Getting it all together is not a habit for me, yet, but a process.  A methodical process.  When everyone is all in, I'm sent to the truck for departure.  And, can I just say, getting to ride in the Scubabros truck was pretty freaking cool!

At the dive site, I'm put in charge of shore operations for Mike's Open Water classes.  This frees my fellow actual DITz up to get in the water.  I'm charged with getting equipment down to the dock, greeting divers as they arrive, and general pre-dive instructions.  Two students on Open Water day 2.  Same M.O. for getting them in the water.  The one thing I hear about most is the failure of weight check prior to the surface swim out.  I look each student in the eye and say, "Make sure you do a weight check before you swim out."  Even though Mike has already said this.  Students in the water, I ask about weight check and get thumbs up.  OK!  They surface swim out and after being briefed on the skills being tested begin their descent.  And I do a mental fist pump.  Then one of them flounders back to the surface, fist pump too soon.  OK, she's sinking again.  I go and grab a few weights off the truck, just to have handy.  Nope; she starts her swim back and I get the 2 x 2 hand signal from Mike.  Nearly anticipated the request.  Weights in, she's back out.  Once they descend for real this time, I actually look around and notice my surroundings for the first time.

It's a beautiful Oklahoma spring day.  Warm with a steady cool wind.  Not a cloud in the sky.  I smell like sunscreen and I can almost imagine I'm on the beach.  Except there is a rooster crowing.  I'm sure there are roosters near the beach, but I don't normally associate them.  Plus the distinct lack of salt in the air.  I did say, "almost".

Once the first set of students pass their final skills, they are ready to get out.  I help haul the equipment back up to the truck and fellow DITz has already laid out the next student's gear. DITz downtime; time for my dives.  The objective for the first dive: Enjoy (and work on my square pattern).  Mike gives a briefing and headings for each stake that make the square.  Somehow, I am doing the square backwards from the directions given.  Me and squares don't really get along well at this point. I will detail the site in my 2nd dive.  I find the starting point for the square and set the heading for the second.  I am able to find it, no problem.  The water is quite clear, all things considered.  At the platform, I decide to take a swim through the bubbler, which is the aerator in the lake.  Arms out, fins crossed, bubbles in my face: SCUBA SMILE!  Later, while I'm chilling on the platform, I notice a lake perch near me.  It has a funny fin on the bottom.  I stay very still and wiggle my slate.  It comes a little closer, and I notice the funny fin is actually some molted snake skin that's tangled on it.  On a tiny scale, it reminded me of this video I saw recently.
I slowly reach out to the perch and grab the skin and am able to free it.  Then, the fish eats the skin.  Gross, but whatevs.  It then sticks around.  Swimming up to my slate, nibbling at the curly yellow plastic.  It swims right up to my mask and hovers there for several seconds.  I'm trying to breathe as quietly as possible, so I don't scare it off.  I'm even able to touch it with my finger!  Friendly little fella.  Once it's time to head in (the third point of the square found before the fish goof off session) I set the compass and end up at the last stake.  So a U shape.  I'm confident now I can do a square.  For the record, my first underwater square was acceptable.

I surface for a quick interval.  The water is pretty chilly, but my 3 mil is keeping me warm.  Just sitting in the shallow, waiting is a little cold.  I'm shivering a little.  I got a shout out saying I should look more excited.  I try for the arms up giant smile and it only comes across as sarcastic.  *facepalm*
I'm ready to get back in and my second assignment comes in.  Make a survey of the dive site.  What's there to see in what depth, etc.  Cool.  I'm going to follow the course of the square again, since I saw that the first time around.  Starting shallow, I find a cone, over to the dock some rocks and grasses.  Down the yellow pipe and a neat looking candy cane shaped pipe.  At the platform, another swim through the bubbler and a scuba smile.  I'm told just past the bubbler is tiki point. I have not seen that, yet.  All mapped out and ready to head back.  I feel pretty good about my map.  I've got compass headings, depth, and kick cycles.  Once I surface, I'm asked to hand in my work.  YDAGJ later and I'm giving the dive briefing for the newest arrivals.  O.o  Open Water day 1 students arrived while I was under.  I should have set up their equipment before my dives.  Hindsight.  As far as dive briefings go, that was the most boring one I have ever heard.  Even I'm dozing off.  I'm really freaking nervous.  These were the same students I helped into the pool earlier, I realize.  Once it's over and I get them in the water, I tell them to do a weight check and if they have to come back, they have to say, "I'm sorry divemaster in training, I didn't do a weight check and need more weight."  A giggle from the instructor and the real work begins.

Packing up a dive site is exhausting.  I'm loading all the used tanks and gear, gathering the weights and misc & sundry.  Up and down the little rocky hill.  Once I have all but the gear currently in the water, I let my hair down.  Literally.  Some leave in conditioner and air dry.  The sun has made it's way across the sky.  It's not low, but getting there.  I relax on the dock and enjoy the wind in my face, water on my toes, and sun on my skin.  Not a bad way to spend a Sunday.  Plus, when the divers surface, a comment is made about getting all the equipment packed up... Oh, it's already done. =)

P.S.  More sunscreen next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment