Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Divemaster: Chapter 2

I have been dreading the swim test since shearing about it for divemaster.  The tests are rated from 1-5, 5 being the best.  I took the first 2 tests this weekend.  Complete five water-skills exercises, earning a combined exercise score of at least 15. 
1 - Swim 400 meters nonstop, without swimming aids and using any stroke or combination of strokes.
under 6:30 min = 5
6:30 to 8:40 min = 4
8:40 to 11 min = 3
11 to 13 min = 2
more than 13 min = 1
stopped = incomplete

2 - Tread water, drown-proof, bob, or float using no aids and wearing only a swimsuit for 15 minutes, with hands (not arms) out of the water during the last two minutes.
Performed satisfactorily = 5
Stayed afloat, but hands not out of water the entire two minutes = 3
Used side/bottom for momentary support no more than twice = 1
Used side/bottom for support more than twice = incomplete

On 1, I got 9:20, so a score of 3.  That was a struggle.  I have always thought of myself as a strong swimmer.  I got a reality check on Sunday.  I started out strong, but petered out after a few laps.  I had to flip over on my back and kept going.  The point is, I kept going.  My Divemaster buddy was timing me, making it a better experience.  Many more spectators and I might not have surfaced after my performance.  

On to the float test.  This one, I have in the bag.  As I laid relaxing, floating in the pool, I reflected on my swim.  If I can shave 40 seconds off my time, I could have a 4.  The last 2 minutes, not only did I have my hands out of the water, but I was dancing to Miley's, "We Can't Stop".  It was a good performance, and I earned a 5.  




The third test:  In confined water, demonstrate the ability to effectively respond to an unusual circumstance underwater by exchanging all scuba equipment (except exposure suits and weights) with a buddy while sharing a single regulator second stage.  Now, I have never buddy breathed before.  I thought I would be able to achieve this, since I can remove my equipment, surface, and free dive back down to redress.  A fellow DITz and I planned out the exercise.  I would remove my equipment first, both using my reg, then he would remove his.  We descended and started the exercise.  2 breaths and we pass.  After the first exchange, I got completely fixated on the regulator.  He's got it, gotta take off my gear.  Mine.  The first breath exploded out of my mouth and I gulped down air.  I took another giant breath and handed it back.  Blowing a steady stream of bubbles, I finish removing my BC.  My lungs burn, and I all I can see is the reg in his mouth.  The next time I had the reg in my mouth, all I could do was huff and puff.  I gave it back and shook my head.  This was too much for me.  I bolted for the surface. 

I have never been so disappointed in myself.  The burn of shame stung my eyes.  Good thing I was in the pool and no one could really see.  Though, I'm sure my face was red, a tell for me.  My fellow DITz and Mike surface, since I didn't come back down.  Concern written on their faces.  You ok?  Was I?  Nothing wrong with me.  I wasn't going to drown.  I was in 8 feet of water.  I said something and they continued with the exercise, my fellow DITz working with Mike.  

Guess that earns me a 1. Inability to complete the exchange; or exchange completed with one or both divers surfacing more than once.  I had to swim it off.  A 1/2 lap down and back.  I'm composed and dive back down to my gear.  I watch the last half of the exercise, taking my reg out each time my fellow DITz does, for practice.  My lungs feel like exploding each time I am without my regulator.  At least I get to try that one again.

At the end of the divemaster morning, Open Water class is to begin.  The DITz are asked to help one particular student with mask clearing.  We Ro-shambo, Rock/paper/scissor, for the task.  I win on the second go.  He's tasked with helping the Open Water class and I take the one off student.  Helping overcome a fear.  Gimme.   

We start with a tool around the pool, trying to get him to relax.  He's sprinting with fins and I signal a slow down.  We do a few laps and end in the shallows.  A full mask clear is his mental block.  We started with a partial clear.  I demonstrate first, then ask for him to show.  Done.  On to full clear.  Me first.  Now him.  He bolts for the surface.  He's sucking water through his nose.  So, it's the water on his face.  Let's try something else.  Hold your nose, reg in, lets sit on the bottom for a while.  Nope.  Next, try holding your nose, reg in, face in the water.  Nope.  I'm running out of ideas.  We are fixating on the problem.  Let's take another lap around the pool.  I lead him around.  Back in the shallows, he taps me and does a full mask clear.  NICE!  He then tries the mask removal, water up his nose, bolts for the surface.  We are in 4 feet of water, so it's not a concern.  I was not able to help him overcome his mental block.  He's done for the day.

The last part of Open Water class is a dive the students plan and DITz are going to present a problem, i.e. remove your mask, unstrap your tank, etc.  After the first few trips, they quickly figured out that they need to watch their buddy pretty close.  Good habit.

The afternoon brought a rescue class.  Only a tiny hiccup in my performance.  I forgot to raise my air 2 in the demonstration of an out of air scenario.  As you can see, I am not a first performance kind of person.  I will get in in the 2nd try.  There was a scuba smile when I was demonstrating the disorientation scenario.  Mike spun me around underwater and I had to find the line and stop spinning. 

All in all, a very good day of diving, if only in the pool.  I have an even greater respect for the Scubabros to be able to do this every day.  Lots of hours in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment